Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Aenean commodo ligula eget dolor. Aenean massa cum sociis Theme natoque.

Latest Posts

184 Main Collins Street West Victoria 807
Image Alt



Krnica, or Carnitia, is situated on the eastern coast of Istria, at an altitude of 195 m. Its trademark is undoubtedly the bell tower of the church of St. Rocco, which dominates the area. Refugees from Dalmatia who named it Sveta Marija Krnička, then Krnica, founded the city.
The wild landscape of its surrounding area is characterized with steep cliffs and ridges, plateaus above them providing a magnificent view of the bay and islands. With hidden coves and fascinating underwater world, low Mediterranean plants, unmistakable scent of maquis and pine forests, Krnica, along with its surrounding places, offers the possibility of a quick escape from the urban clutter and a long vacation.

More about Krnica

The local port, Krnički Porat, is home to many fishing boats and the starting point of local fishermen, who have always supported their families through the seafood, both eating seafood and trading seafood for things they needed. For the gourmands who enjoy sea gifts, Krnički Porat offers always-fresh shrimp and fish, which are prepared according to traditional recipes.  The port is the starting point of diving adventures for those of curious spirit, while the others can take a walk through the untouched nature.


Archaeological findings provide evidence of population in this area in prehistoric times and in the Roman period. According to some sources, Krnica is actually a former Faveria, built 2 km uphill, above the port Krnički Porat, because of the fear from invaders coming by sea. In Roman times, the road Via Flanatica passed through here, the road that led from Pula to Liburnia. Nearby, the Romans built several buildings including a fortress with the main task of road overseeing.  In 1903, in a cave near Krnice, a chest full of gold and bronze coins was found dating back to the Roman era. The name Krnica, according to some studies, is related to the Celtic word KAR, meaning stone. It was first mentioned in 1243. Then, because of wars and pestilence, the place was abandoned, while a larger population of the town dates back from 1520 when the settlers, refugees from Dalmatia, called it “Sveta Marija Krnička” and then Krnica.


Krnica, Church of Sv.Rok – built in 1631 and extended in 1774. The bell tower is separated from the church. It is 25m tall, built in 1882, has 4 chapels and a sacristy, 5 marble altars

Mutvoran, Church of Sv,Marija Magdalena – Renaissance building, although it is mentioned in 490. It is a church with the most beautiful and greatest Renaissance altar in Croatia. The bell tower is located near the church. It was built in 1622. The church has five altars of which the base has a Roman inscription, which was installed upside down because of pagan beliefs. Out of all medieval castles, only the rampart and double doors that protect the town survived. Below Mutvoran, there is a port Budava. It was once a major port for the Histrians, and was very much exploited by the Romans until the fall of the Western Roman Empire in 476 and was used by the Byzantine until the end of the 8th century. Today, it is place for gold fish and sea bass farming.

Kavran, Church of Sv.Jeronim
 – single nave with side chapels and the sacristy; 3 stone altars. Kavran, which offers beautiful panoramic views of the Kvarner, was first mentioned in the 1300.

Hreljići, Church of Our Lady of Health– built in 1726 on the site of a former church. On its facade there are four tombstones with inscriptions and altars decorated with sculptures and paintings from the 18th century.

Filipana, Church of Sv.Filip and Jakov apostles– from 1609, it was restored in 1926.


Rokovo – folk fest 16.08.
Rakalj, meetings at the precious stone– a meeting between Istrian poets and recitals according to the collection of poems by Mijo Mirković; it takes place every year in September.